[OM] Re: Exciting times chez Moose

Subject: [OM] Re: Exciting times chez Moose
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 15:00:14 +1000

Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 25/05/2008, at 1:20 PM, Moose wrote:

> This is not an area of lawns. I have a modest one in front - not under
> Eucalpyt(s), but quite unlike the usual concept. It's native grasses
> that are never mowed. More like a small meadow. Some parts are large
> bunches/tussocks, other relatively barren. The flower/seed stalks are
> about a meter high and I find them exceptionally beautiful. They are
> very delicate, with the flowers almost too small to be seen with the
> naked eye, but they do add subtle colour. It's the only thing
> resembling
> a lawn for some distance.

That's the way to do it.

>> And the wrong place to plant a big gum? Any closer to a house than
>> about 20 metres. Otherwise they'll shade it in the winter and suck
>> enough moisture out of the ground to shift the foundations in the
>> summer.
>>
> By that criterion, every one in the residential areas of the East Bay
> should be removed. The one just removed in my pic is closer than
> that to
> at least five houses. These hills are deceptive. the narrow,
> winding, up
> and down streets without sidewalks, the many trees and bushes, give a
> sort of rural feel. But it is in fact fairly dense. so trees that
> require large open areas underneath aren't really suited. Doesn't mean
> they, various sorts, aren't all over the place. It keeps the
> arborists,
> and those lesser beings, simple tree cutters, in work.

Native plants became fashionabvle here in the '70's and people
planted inappropriately for some time. Consequently we have that
problem and there is at time a ridiculous over-reaction in the
opposite direction by the horticulturally inept (ooooh it's a native
so it's going to crack the foundations!!) And I've heard 'arborists'
say dumb things like that too - in my again limited experience, the
only difference between an arborist and a barely trained faller is
that they'll both cut down the tree but the arborist gives you some
kind of shoddy reason for it first. After all, they aren't going to
make much of a living recommending that you leave them alone.
Around here you have to have a permit to drop a tree.