[OM] Re: Korean gear drive tripod head - Photoclam Multiflex

Subject: [OM] Re: Korean gear drive tripod head - Photoclam Multiflex
From: "Jay Drew" <dreaded@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 23:05:58 -0700
james king wrote:
>> I use the 410, it works, It has handled a bronica etrsi with a 100-220
>> zoom. (just the zoom is well over 2KG) and is fine with a canon 5d and
>> an old tamron 80-200 f2,8LD adaptal 2.
>> However,  its quite heavy compared to a pan and tilt head and I find it
>> difficult to make very fine adjustments.
>>
>Maybe that's the way it shows being overloaded? Mine is silky smooth for
>the finest adjustments. But I did have to replace one of the worm gear
>assemblies after I bought it cheap used.
>
>Moose

I have a Vivitar 150-600 and when I couple that beast with an OM body and a
winder I find the 410 controls harder to turn.  It's not a case of being less
smooth, it just takes more effort to do the adjustments.  The next heaviest lens
combo would be the Tokina 100-300 or possibly a Vivitar 90-180.  Neither has the
sluggish feel that the big lens produces.  So if the "difficult" translates as
stiff, I would agree with James assesment.

On the other hand, this large lens on my Acratech works well and in this
instance, I'd prefer the ball head over the 410.  But James is correct, this is
a heavy head.

Jay - two heads are better than one.  And more expensive to boot.