[OM] Re: A recent thread.

Subject: [OM] Re: A recent thread.
From: Doug <doug9345@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 11:27:34 -0400
On Sunday, May 25, 2008 10:12, Gordon Ross wrote:
> Hi Chris:
>
> It was about $5.00 CDN.  The medications that I purchased
> at the Pharmacia were a total of $14.00 CDN.  My problem had been
> resolved and quite expediciously and inexpensively,    my gratitude to
> Mexico.  I can only wonder what treatment I would have gotten and what
> the cost would be had I been in the US.

If you went to the hospital emergency room cost would have been I'm guessing
somewhere around $800 USD ( the last time I was to the ER the bill would have
been $591 without insurance, my copay was $75. That was about 8 years ago).
Antibiotics could be anywhere from $10 to $200 depending on what you needed/
was in vogue at the time. You could of waited anywhere from a half hour to a
half day depending on the hospital, city, time of day, day of week, etc. An
urgent care place would have been less. Your treatment would most likely been
provided by a resident doctor, meaning a trainee.

If it happened to me I'd go to the farm store and buy a package of Terramycin
(oxytetracyclean) for $5. Trust me it tastes really bad. If it worked I'd be
fine, if it didn't I'd be that many days deeper into an infection, but with
no insurance, only partially employed and many of my backup jobs that I've
done, like driving, basically missing because of the cost of fuel, it's a
risk that I'd take. That is the personal face of the US health care. Without
a big chunk of money or insurance, a lot of knowledge, and if you are a
person that is easily swayed by experts, an advocate to to ask questions and
force justifications as why are the Doctors doing what they are doing other
than some drug rep told them to.