[OM] Re: A recent thread.

Subject: [OM] Re: A recent thread.
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 08:00:26 +1000
Cost here for my last CAT scan was about $250 - about 2/3rds
recoverable from medicare. That was some time ago but a more recent
CRT guided injection for sciatica (since resolved thank goodness)
left me less than $200 out of pocket.  MRI on my knee was less than
$500 and I was able to get about $350 back. Recent ultrasound guided
cortisone injection into my heel at the local public hospital was
bulk-billed - they charged the government rebate and claimed it back
themselves so zero charge to me. Shame it didn't work!
In your circumstances, here, you'd have a 'health care card' by
virtue of being unemployed and on the dole.  You would have to wait
longer and fit in at their convenience, after they'd done the self-
insured perhaps,  but you'd be bulk-billed.
All this can go wrong. My Uncle and Aunt moved here from the UK to
join their son without setting up their medical insurance properly.
As they didn't have official 'residency', they could not get the
government rebates so when my aunt fell sick with oesophageal cancer,
they eded up with some heavy bill. But her 18 months of terminal care
cost them between $10-15K which is a fleabite compared to stories
I've heard from your side of the Pacific.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx