[OM] Re: A recent thread.

Subject: [OM] Re: A recent thread.
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 18:28:19 -0400
Martin,

It is a shame. I did make money when I lived in New Mexico, the only time I
have not been dirt poor. I made about $500 (before taxes) a week on average
there. The problem was, a one bedroom apartment costs $900 a month there
plus utilities. I couldn't afford that on an after tax income of 1600 a
month. Utilities are a couple hundred a month, my child support for my son
is a couple hundred, gas for my car cost me $200 a month, and that left not
enough to eat. I wasn't bad off then because I lived with a friend. She lost
her job and home and went to live with her family and I came back to Indiana
and stayed with my parents a few months till I was introduced to my
girlfriend by a mutual friend. She was going to end up homeless because her
roomate moved out and she couldn't afford her apartment on her income of
$100 a week as a cashier at a grocery store. So, I moved in with her and
together we have struggled on our combined income of about $700 a month. I'm
worried though, I only made $50 the last 2 weeks and we have no money to pay
our $460 rent when it comes due next week. I'm a single man, and my
girlfriend hasn't got any children, so we do not qualify for ANY government
help at all...we do not receive any welfare benefits. I've been selling
things to pay our rent, but I am running out of things. I don't want to sell
my main cameras and lenses because I use them to do the art work that keeps
me from committing suicide, and my computer earns me what little money I
earn (I make my money maintaining a website for a client back in Santa
Fe...it requires little work, hence my little pay, but I keeps me from
starving).

Two of the women I graduated from the Indiana University art school with 9
yrs ago are STILL on welfare (they're single moms). No one would hire them
either, for any job. The men are mostly living with parents, the other women
married men who support them.

--
Chris Crawford
Photography & Graphic Design