[OM] Re: OT drive scrubber

Subject: [OM] Re: OT drive scrubber
From: Doug <doug9345@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 11:21:23 -0400
On Thursday, May 22, 2008 08:46, Sandy Harris wrote:
> John Hermanson <omtech1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Can anyone recommend a good (free) driver scrubber utility?  One that
> > scrubs free space as well as complete drives? ...
>
> This is actually a surprisingly difficult problem, provided you need to
> consider enemies with serious budgets and equipment. The classic
> paper is:
> http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/sec96/full_papers/gu
>tmann/
>
> Here's one file erase utility that is free and appears to be doing it
> right: http://sourceforge.net/projects/eraser/

I bought a used hard dry and even after multiple repartitions, formatings with
different file systems and OS installs, when I accidently delete a large
directory that I needed and run a recovery program that attempted to put
recover as much as possible there was still date from the original owner. She
or they had obviously been getting ready for a wedding.

If I had sensitive data on a drive that I needed to dispose I'd stuff it into
the wood furnace on a cold winter day down by the air intake after an hour
the only thing that would be left would be a glob of aluminum and whatevery
steel that was in the unit.

Short of absolute and total destruction of of the platters in the drive there
is chance that data can be recovered. I read recently that they were able to
recover the data of of 1 out of 3 drives on the space shuttle challenger
after it crashed and they found the drive a long time after.
-Doug