[OM] Re: OT drive scrubber

Subject: [OM] Re: OT drive scrubber
From: "Sandy Harris" <sandyinchina@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 23:34:58 +0800
On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 11:21 PM, Doug <doug9345@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thursday, May 22, 2008 08:46, Sandy Harris wrote:

>> This is actually a surprisingly difficult problem, provided you need to
>> consider enemies with serious budgets and equipment. The classic
>> paper is:
>> http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/sec96/full_papers/gu
>>tmann/

> I bought a used hard dry and ...

Sure. Re-formatting or installing an OS might not even overwrite
all the data once.

> If I had sensitive data on a drive that I needed to dispose I'd stuff it into
> the wood furnace ...

That is the only completely certain way. Depending on the data,
I might physically destroy the drive too.

> Short of absolute and total destruction of of the platters in the drive there
> is chance that data can be recovered. ...

Yes, but the problem has been studied in some detail. The reference
I gave suggests 35 overwrites, 8 random and the others with carefully
chosen data ought to do it, based on a detailed analysis of things like
how much data can be extracted by particular types of electron
microscope.

Of course, that was 1996. You'd need to look at more recent papers.

--
Sandy Harris,
Nanjing, China