[OM] Memory stick formatting?

Subject: [OM] Memory stick formatting?
From: "Jez Cunningham" <jez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 20:43:02 +0200
My wife just asked me to copy a set of her pictures (722 photos from a
trip she made to Israel / Holy Land) onto a friend's 1GB memory stick.
 It wouldn't take more than 511 so after a few moments'
head-scratching I decided it was a binary thing and a faint DOS
limitation came to mind.  I deleted one file, made a new folder and
the rest copied into the folder without a problemWONDEERFUL!.  (Just
to make it tidy I than made another folder and moved the first 510
into that.  Me, anal?)
Is this a FAT16 formatting thing?  I didn't investigate since I found
a quick workaround, but does it mean that as delivered they all have
this limitation?  I guess I wondered why a memory stick would come
with a multi-page instruction manual.  No, of course I didn't...

curious - but not enough to rtfm...
Jez