[OM] Re: Fwd: Memory stick formatting?

Subject: [OM] Re: Fwd: Memory stick formatting?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 18:13:42 -0400
See "Directories and Directory Entries" at the bottom of this page which
notes that all FAT16 directories (including the root directory) are
limited to 512 entries (or even less if long names are used).  Under
FAT16 long names are implemented by using multiple name entries to hold
portions of a long name so you will end up with something less than 512
entries.  <http://www.ahuka.com/dos/lesson9.html>

I had long ago forgotten about this directory entries limitation and
don't ever recall actually encountering it.  Good for you on scrounging
it up from memory.

Chuck Norcutt