[OM] Re: Fwd: Memory stick formatting?

Subject: [OM] Re: Fwd: Memory stick formatting?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 09:12:02 -0400
Maximum normal cluster size for FAT16 is 32KB which, at 64K maximum
number of clusters, leads to 32KB x 64K = 2GB maximum disk size.
Windows NT did allow a 64KB cluster size which allows a FAT16 disk to
get up to 4GB but it is considered non-standard.  A 64KB cluster size
would be considered very inefficient for the many small files found on a
typical home computer but is actually very efficient for storing large
image files and would likely speed up the camera's image writing.
However, since it's non-standard your camera won't format the card that
way but may operate fine if you've pre-formatted the card on your
computer using 64KB clusters.

To do it you'll have to use the format command and force the cluster
size since Windows won't do 64KB clusters unless explicitly specified.
FAT32 typically uses very small clusters (4KB) but has the ability to
use lots of them.  It makes for efficient storage of small files but a
lot of unnecessary overhead for large image files.  That's why you'll
see performance fall off a bit when using 4GB and larger cards compared
to 2GB cards.

Chuck Norcutt