[OM] Re: [OT] Dealing with weak wireless network signals

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Dealing with weak wireless network signals
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 13:08:51 -0700
Jez Cunningham wrote:
> I haven't studied it but I understand that a MIMO device uses multiple
> antennas that are combined to steer the directionality towards the
> transmitter.  I recall claims that they can improve the range.
> I have a draft-N router with MIMO and a regular laptop without and it
> certainly communicates better (faster) then my old B-router.  But that could
> be N.  Or the router.

Not saying that other factors couldn't be at work... But simply
switching from a B router to a G or N  router with a G laptop increases
speed from 11 to 54 mbps, almost 5x the speed. On the other hand,
switching from a G to N router with a G laptop won't increase the speed.
Add a USB N adapter to the laptop to see WiFi  speed up some more.

That's all assuming a decent signal/connection. Better antenna
performance wouldn't change the basic speed, but could increase the
distance at which it could be reached.
> Anyway I don't think it can make things worse good luck.

No, it just probably isn't worth any price premium for the specific
question originally at hand.

Moose