[OM] Re: Impressive Image, E-510 and 14-54 Lens

Subject: [OM] Re: Impressive Image, E-510 and 14-54 Lens
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 13:34:19 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I don't know what Moose actually did but, knowing Moose, I'm sure he used
> layers to do it.
Yup
> However, I'm also sure that what was done (or at least a similar effect) can
> be accomplished without layers.
Sure, but it's harder that way. That's the point a lot of people don't
understand. Layers, and some other advanced tools, may sound difficult
or arcane - but they actually make the work easier and quicker.
> I'm sure that PSE  must support the "lasso" tool for selection.  Just use the
> lasso to select the background parts of the image and then reduce the
> brightness and contrast of the background followed by applying a little blur.

Here's a great example. The Lasso selection tool can do the job, but
takes a lot of time and care to apply accurately to this kind of image.
The Magic Wand, Quick Selection and/or Select by Color tools will do the
job MUCH more quickly and accurately.

Applying Brightness/Levels/Curves to a selection works fine, as does
Blur. However, if you later find that the selection wasn't quite right,
you have to undo all the adjustments, recreate the selection and start
over. If you instead create a mask layer with the selection, the mask
can later be easily and quickly modified and the adjustments aren't
affected, just to which part of the overall image they apply.

You can also avoid applying adjustments that are a bit too much or
little, undoing, redoing, and so on. Simply apply the tool, leaning
slightly toward more is better. If the effect is too strong, just use
the slider to change layer opacity. You can watch the effect change in
real time and select the best amount.

Moose