[OM] Re: Unitarians, was: OT event photos

Subject: [OM] Re: Unitarians, was: OT event photos
From: Gordon Ross <gordross@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 08:43:25 -0600
it is a very evident historical truth that religions do not handle
criticism well, nor do they have a good track record of sharing -- it
seems one universal issue that secular action is rarely not self
beneficial and becomes transparent with the passage of time and the
revelation of misdeeds.  Since all religions espouse 'beliefs' that
can't be proven - they tend to be pretty drastic in defense of them.
Whether it be outright torture, death, holy wars, sedition, missionary
'conversions',  etc. etc. or the pervasive psychological threats like
excommunication, damnation, purgatory, hell, shunning and the list
goes on.  Western people can readily see this when it comes to 'other'
religions and identify the issues really well when it is 'sects' but
really fail to apply those insights to their own brand. Having a
belief is fine, sharing that belief is fine but when one has to be
'THE' religion, the 'right' one, the 'only true' one and when your
church or secular leaders start espousing 'truth' I am sorry but I get
really cold. It seems that one of the hardest accomplishments that can
be achieved is to be benevolent and tolerant. Please consider that
before you castigate me for questioning 'organized' religion. It is
such a dangerous game is it not and so easy to make enemies, but if
you fail to discuss it you must live with the results.