[OM] Sixteen Bit Scanning and Photoshop

Subject: [OM] Sixteen Bit Scanning and Photoshop
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 21:22:41 -0700
I have been scanning a little lately and of course I have tried to
incorporate things I have learned since the last time I did it. With
my digital camera I can open a sixteen bit raw file in ACR,  make my
adjustments and then open it in Photoshop also as a sixteen bit file.
That gives some leeway if any further adjustment gets done before
using the file.

I was intrigued that you can open TIFF or JPEG files in ACR and tried
it with TIFF files from the scanner because I like some the of tools
in ACR. It works fine except when the file gets transferred to
Photoshop where it ends up being converted to an 8 bit depth file. I
also tried the scan using Vuescan and saving the file as an Adobe
digital raw format in 16 bits. It also opens fine in ACR, but the file
also gets converted to 8 bits upon transfer to Photoshop. It seems odd
since you can open a sixteen bit TIFF file in Photoshop without a
problem.

Am I missing something? Or is what I am trying to do just not
possible? Just to be clear, what I want to do is:

1. Scan and save an image in 16 bits.
2. Open it in ACR and adjust it.
3. Open the file in Photoshop in 16 bits.

Any ideas?

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA