[OM] Re: Sixteen Bit Scanning and Photoshop

Subject: [OM] Re: Sixteen Bit Scanning and Photoshop
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 21:57:54 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Why not scanner raw?

Scanner raw files are part of my work flow, and I tend to keep at least
certain of them for some time after scanning, but they are mostly
expendable. i tend to keep those for particularly significant (to me!)
images or those used for some kind of benchmark.

With VueScan, I use raw files to separate the involvement intense
physical scanning from processing. Applying the processing parameters,
dust removal and creating the TIFF &/or JPEG output file(s) all take
processing time AFTER the physical scan is complete. Raw files are
output as the scan progresses, so there is no dead time while scanning.
So I go through, scan a whole roll to raw and put the film away. Then or
later, I can quickly preview the whole roll, set Color Tab parameters,
etc. for the first preview that's representative of most of the images
and flip through the previews fine tuning any others. Then I can set
VueScan loose to 'scan' all the roll into processed TIFFs at its leisure
- and mine.

Unlike some photographers, it's not uncommon for a roll of mine to
contain several different sorts of images as to subject, lighting, etc.
I find previewing the whole roll at once, setting one frame, which sets
the default for the rest, then modifying the different ones, to be
faster and easier than previewing and setting up 4-6 images at a time
for final scan.

Moose