[OM] Re: OT candids [was 25mm f2.8 DZ]

Subject: [OM] Re: OT candids [was 25mm f2.8 DZ]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 22:46:37 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I'd have preferred that she be framed on the opposite side such that she's
> looking into the picture rather than outside of it.

I'll ask her to pose differently next time.  :-)

Andrew has suggested that I'm more interested in people and he more in
situations. I think there is some truth to that on average, but we
overlap a lot. In three cases at the M Café, I wanted to capture the
interchange between people, but the angle/circumstances didn't allow it.
This was the most dramatic of those. I've added the full frame of my
first shot to the gallery.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=MCafe&image=05G_0386ii.jpg>

If you look at the arms of both women, you will see the same freckles,
at different ages. My guess is that it was a grandmother, granddaughter
lunch. The dynamic was fascinating. The older woman has a forceful
personality, and did most of the talking, accompanied with vigorous hand
gestures and a range of powerful expressions you can guess at from the
couple I captured. I think she may have been laying down the law or
giving a lesson in how to live life properly. Something serious, in any
case.

Unfortunately, there was no way I could see to capture them from a
different angle without obviously walking over to take a picture, which
would change the dynamic. I'm sure I could out distance the old one, and
likely outdo her in a fight. But even if they liked it, I didn't want a
posed pic.

You can see something of the dynamic from the full frame shot, but it's
just not a very good picture. The next two gallery images are closer
crops of the same image, which, to my mind, are much stronger images,
the closest being the one Bob especially likes.

The other couple did come close together to talk animatedly sometimes.
When he leaned forward, I lost and view of his face at all. And I was
eating during much of that time... so I only got them leaning back, not
the hot action shot. They were right at the next table, so I had to be
surreptitious. The longer shots were actually easier.

Moose