[OM] Re: New scanner and mass scanning projects [was Sixteen Bit Scannin

Subject: [OM] Re: New scanner and mass scanning projects [was Sixteen Bit Scanning and Photoshop]
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 19:21:48 +0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

> What a daunting task! I'm embarking on the same sort of job, although
> it's mixed negs and slides, with a few other formats thrown in.

35mm negatives is the first step, they are mostly family shots so most
important for us. Their condition is also worse than the slides (mostly my
personal stuffs) due to poor processing of some one hour labs.

> I finally found a like new Canon 9950F scanner for a reasonable price. I
> bought it specifically for this task. It will allow me to scan five
> strips of negs at a time, 12 slides at once and the 6x6 and 6x9 negs
> from the old family album. The prospect of feeding all those strips into
> the film scanner one at a time, and slides four at a time was really
> daunting.

I'm now retired and have time for this daunting stuffs :-) Actually, I have
scanned part of them some years ago with an older scanner (LS2000) and non
calibrated CRT (a CRT monitor can be very bad if non calibrated), now I have
to redo them all again with better equipment.

> The full 4800 dpi output is, in the end, just slightly - very slightly,
> pixel peeping - lower in quality on contemporary film. but I don't think
> it's a difference I'll ever see in a display or print. Most of the
> archive is older film, and a quick test shows that the scanner resolves
> more than the film, and more than the camera/lenses that made some of
> the images.
>
> I'll learn more as I go through the process, but I think some of the
> oldest 35mm  stuff won't require more than 2400dpi to capture all that's
> there. I don't think the 6x9 shots from dad's folding Kodak hold as much
> detail as my later 35mm images. 600dpi gets it all.

Mostly yes, but many of my 35mm stuffs still cleaner and sharper if scanned
by 4000ED rather than the Epson 4850 even it claimed to have 4800dpi. I
don't mind to spend more time to get better results.

C.H.Ling