[OM] Re: Sixteen Bit Scanning and Photoshop

Subject: [OM] Re: Sixteen Bit Scanning and Photoshop
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 11:28:24 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> On further reflection, and I'm really stretching my memory here, I think the
> file may be labeled TIFF but I don't think anything other than VueScan would
> know what to do with the contents.
That's roughly correct.

We tend to simplify things to make life simpler and easier. In this
thread, two separate things have become confabulated.

TIFF is a standard for storing a raster image byte by byte in a file. We
tend to think of what's stored in a TIFF file as a positive photographic
image with gamma suitable for viewing on screen. But it may be almost
anything. It could, for example, be encoded and look like junk without
the appropriate app.

VueScan raw files are the output from the scanner without processing. As
Marc says, those from a color neg look like a color neg. They are also
linear, not gamma corrected, nor is any other processing applied. So you
are right, it's unlikely any other app would know what to do with them,
although they aren't 'secret' in any way.

Because of the linear gamma, even raw scans of positives look very dark.
In this respect, it is like 16 bit output from dcraw, which depends on
later gamma setting in the editor.

I believe the one setting that may make a difference in raw output is
brightness, to the extent that it may set something, gain, illumination
brightness, etc., in the scanner itself, which would then be reflected
in the output.

Moose