[OM] keeping the eyepiece magnifier from falling off

Subject: [OM] keeping the eyepiece magnifier from falling off
From: "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgeezer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 06:29:50 -0700
When I got an E-500, my first accessory was the eyepiece magnifier, as the
viewfinder image is much too small without it (and merely "too small" with
it).

As anyone owning the magnifier knows, it slips off all too easily. A week
later it disappeared in the junk on my living-room floor, but I found it a
day later. I resolved to be more careful, and for 18 months I was.

Then, three weeks ago, it disappeared again. "Oh, no. Am I going to have to
lay out another $40 (plus shipping)?" (It's hard to believe Olympus can get
away selling a $10 accessory -- that ought to be included with the camera at
no extra cost -- for $40.)

I often use the E-500 at work, so the body, flash, and two lenses are
ensconced in a BucketBoss mini tool bag that clips to the side of my big
BucketBoss bag. (If you carry a lot of junk to work, a compartmented tool
bag works a lot better than an attaché or brief case.) I took everything out
of the bag and turned it upside-down. Nothing. Rats!

Several days passed and I still couldn't find the magnifier. If it were on
the floor, it would be somewhere between the living room and my den. But it
didn't show up. And it's no so small that it's hard to see.

Conclusion? It must still be in the BucketBoss mini bag. I searched the
inside pouches -- and there it was.

NEVER AGAIN. I got out my Amazing Goop and put a very thin bead across the
top of the "inner" eyepiece (not the sides) and slid the magnifier into
place. After letting it dry, I tried pushing it off with "moderate" force,
but it wouldn't budge. (As Goop is a flexible adhesive, I figure it ought to
come off with a healthy shove, but I'm not going to experiment.)