[OM] Re: Advice sought on additional lenses for my E-510

Subject: [OM] Re: Advice sought on additional lenses for my E-510
From: "Daniel Sepke" <daniel.sepke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 08:41:10 -0400
Greg,

See my responses in between your questions.

Of GMcGrath@xxxxxxx
>Subject: [OM] Advice sought on additional lenses for my E-510
>
>I'm wanting to increase my range and capabilities beyond the two kit lenses
that came with my 510, and would >like any feedback/advice that list members
would like to impart.

>1) 14-54 vs. 12-60
>I would love to have the 12-60, but the 14-54 is less than half  the price.
I can buy two lenses for the
>price of the  12-60. Comparison/comments?

I own both of these lenses and like Nathan cannot see much of a performance
difference between them. For me it comes down to handling and range of FL.
On the E-3 the 12-60 is best, on a 410 the 14-54 has an edge to me. The
extra range is useful but covered elsewhere in my kit bag if needed.

>2) 70-300
>anyone used one of these? I know it's a lower-tier lens and not especially
fast, but that 600mm equivalent
>reach is what I'm looking at.

I don't have this lens yet but it has a good rep and I am considering
picking one up as part of a bundle B&H offer. If you don't have anything in
this range it's likely a great start. I have a 40-150 (2nd type) as well as
a non SWD 50-200 so I am not hurting for options in this range.

>3) 50mm macro
>I think the extra working distance and speed over the 35 will be worth the
price.

I have owned both of these but currently only have the 50mm. Were it not a
cash flow question I would have kept the 35mm as it is a superb lens for the
money. The 50mm is a cracker too as both a macro and general use lens. Since
both lenses rack out a long way I think Oly should have included a focus
limiter (they simply *must* put one on the forthcoming 100mm). If have an OM
50mm macro and want to actually shoot macro consider that route as AF is not
much use at high magnification. My most used OM lens on E System cameras is
the 135/4.5.

Hope this helps, Dan S.