[OM] Re: Comparing OM to E-3 - Part I

Subject: [OM] Re: Comparing OM to E-3 - Part I
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 11:42:30 -0400
First, I should say that I hardly considered these posts as burdening
the list.  It's what makes the list what it is.  That said, however, I'm
still not sure what it is you're trying to show.  My impression is that
you want to know how the E3 compares to an OM as an every day shooter
with most of the images that get printed being limited to 4x6 or 8x10 at
the most.  But I'm confused when you throw in 20x30.  I'm sure your MF
cameras did that but that's a huge image for a 35mm frame.  Your E3 will
certainly do it with careful image prep and as long as you don't inspect
the print from normal reading distance.

As long as you don't mind the weight I think you'll find the E3 superior
in almost all respects well beyond just image quality.  Its high ISO
performance, while less than some other camaras, will certainly equal or
exceed any film you've ever used.  It's image stabilization will
increase the odds of a good hand held shot with long lenses, it's
articulating view screen and live view will greatly facilitate macro
work, the histogram will be found (IMHO) far better than a spot meter,
autofocus is a boon for aging eyes and the 1/250 second flash sync speed
greatly aids daylight fill flash.  What's not to like.

ps:  I don't have 100 20x30s hanging around the country.

Chuck Norcutt