[OM] Re: OT - anti virus / spyware programs

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - anti virus / spyware programs
From: Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 09:42:00 +1000
John Hudson wrote:
> Are there any recommendations on the best and most effective
 > anti-virus and anti-spyware programs available, either by
 > downloading from the manufacturer's / distributor's web site
 > or by off-the shelf purchase?

John,

I suspect that one of the first recommendations you'll get it for AVG:

http://free.grisoft.com/

for "free basic protection" (that is, antivirus). It always seems to be
at the top of the list for "Free", and I've suggested it to people (like
my sister-out-law) who ask for a solution but aren't willing to spend
money on the software.

I'm not sure what their non-free "Internet Security" software is like,
but I'm hoping someone here is using it and will pipe-up.

For me, and for where I previously worked, we have always used Trend
Micro products. Over the years we have found them quite good at both a
corporate (server) level, and at a local workstation level. I have been
using Trend Micro Internet Security for a few years now (they recently
upgraded me to "Trend Micro Internet Security Pro for free):

http://www.trendmicro.com.au/au/products/personal/#featuretable

and have found the software, up until recently, to be as good as it
always has been (unobtrusive, stable, and working). The "up until
recently" thing is that I very occasionally find it now crashing
(usually at the end of a scan when I'm doing something else at the same
time), though I suspect this may be more another symptom of some other
laptop problem (too much bloat and installing/uninstalling over the
years). The Trend Micro software itself, however, does seem to have
bloated itself in the last couple of years. I'd still recommend it though.

Cheers,
Marc
Noosa Heads, Oz