[OM] Re: OT - anti virus / spyware programs

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - anti virus / spyware programs
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 08:51:15 +0100
John, I agree with what has been said about AVG Free, McAfee and Symantec.
The latest version of AVG seemed to be progressing towards the "I can do
everything" model, so I have now switched to Avast!, having run it on one
machine for a couple of years.  Other than having yet to find how to define
a particular daily email as "safe", I have no complaints.  It costs the same
as AVG Free.

I did use Kaspersky a while back for one particular file received, which
seemed to be associated with suspicious activity.  The file turned out to be
infected with a virus undetected by McAfee, Norton or Sophos.

Novody has responded to your secondary request regarding spyware, which to
my mind is the greater peril.  Spybot Search&Destroy is my number one
recommendation, but you should also look at MS Defender.  I run both, but
have to remember to update Spybot manually.

--
Piers