[OM] Re: OT - anti virus / spyware programs

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - anti virus / spyware programs
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 01:59:34 -0700
Johann Thorsson wrote:
> I double what Chuck says.  I used NAV (Norton Anti Virus, later became
> Symantec) until....
Yeah. I used NAV forever - until I upgraded the notebook a couple of
years ago. I didn't have as much trouble as some, but it was just so
intrusive.

I tried MacAfee on one machine a few years ago. It made later NAV look
shy and polite. It essentially made the machine useless for any actual
work. I paid $0 after rebates - and it was worth considerably less than
that. What a piece of junk.

I'd been using ZoneAlarm's free firewall for some time and was happy
with it. PCMag tests showed their combo at the top that year. So when I
saw a three pack of their security suite free after rebate, I bought it.
I've been rotating it in on my machines as other subscriptions run out.
It's been on the main desktop for almost a year now and I'm quite happy
with it.

I was thinking of moving to AVG, but now I'm not so sure. ZA doesn't hog
resources when running scans. I notice disk activity, but little or no
slow down of other apps.

The ZA Suite is firewall, anti-virus and anti-spy/malware. I also run
Windoze Defender for spy/malware. It also has a light touch on resources.

Moose