[OM] Re: minimizing scan noise / A couple of Velvia 50 birds

Subject: [OM] Re: minimizing scan noise / A couple of Velvia 50 birds
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 14:12:15 -0300
Wow - thanks a lot for your time and patience.
I feel like answering to C.H., Moose, Chuck and Chris in different
chapters - long and boring.

Better, I will point out some issues which I feel need to be further
explained:

To C.H.: absolutely, I knew I was pushing my old equipment to its limit.
I had loaded Velvia and the birds appeared - no chance to make a film
choice. Thus, the birds I captured in an open environment (they are very
rarely seen, specially the yellow one which is quite small) can not be
compared to the outstanding photographs you were up to make. I would
have felt much better if only I were using a 4T to spot-read the yellow
feathers at least, while the 2n read exposure mainly from a clear blue sky.

To Moose: yes, it's a sort of Zen attitude [how could you think I might
admit the other possibility ;^) ??]. What matters me most of your answer
is that there was a misunderstanding about Ken's post. I did not express
myself clearly enough, therefore part of the content of your answer -
which is very rich. I specially appreciate your advice. Anyway, light
box and loupe inspection shows my version of 'Gallineta' closer to the
film original than yours, and I think this is due to the fact that
although the frame is correctly exposed at 1/60, shutter speed was low
enough to register blur from bird's movement. This accounts for little
detail in the wing feathers and a slight movement at the point of the beak.

To Chuck: indeed, blue was almost a headache. I worked on it with
special care, as the yellow feathers were underexposed and the sky is
saturated. For the first time I had to play with the Shadows/Highlights
to rescue yellow and thus the sky needed highlight adjustment. This was
the best I could do with the yellow-blue dilemma, beyond curves. OTOH,
the amount of blue in green* in the other shot is quite exactly what I
can see in the original Velvia (monitor and PS are adobe RGB 1998
calibrated, but I don't have anything other than my eyes to calibrate
monitor). It's not the first time I find too much blue in green foliage
when scanning Velvia (see my Machines and Tools TOPE entry) - and that
one was done by a knowledgeable PS and scanning guru, the former owner
of my 4000ED.

To Chris: well !! - if I understood your answer properly I must admit
yours was the answer I was expecting: 'nicely done' feels good :-)

Again, thanks for looking.

Fernando.

* - Blue in Green: a famous Miles Davis composition.