[OM] Re: Festival Photography with an E-3, and Flickr questions

Subject: [OM] Re: Festival Photography with an E-3, and Flickr questions
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 19:18:44 -0300
Ian Nichols wrote:
> Someone gave me a freebie Flickr Pro account (for a year, anyway).
Lucky you, I'd like to have one for free.
> decided to put the pictures from a festival I recently went to in it.
> It seems rather slow.
They come down pretty fast here, except for the large (original size)
one. That is: the bigger the file, the slower the download, as usually
work this kind of things. A 3648 x 2736 came down very slowly.
> Does it generate the other picture sizes on the
> fly from the largest?
AFAIK, yes. It generates 72 ppi files 'though you might have uploaded a
4000 ppi .jpeg
> Does the slideshow download the largest size to
> your browser and let the flash player scale it for viewing?  If either
> of these is true, then I'll probably stop using it.

Flickr slideshow is slow, but it does not necessarily use the largest
size. Almost never used it.
But there's PicLens which is faster and useful (not blazingly fast, mind
you) - which is a Flash player which allows variable scaling but one
cannot download from it.
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/27469081@N02/sets/72157605500647132/

Found that in your particular case the whole set showed a little bit
slower than mine. Could be because you're uploading original files? -
don't know.
They are all very nice work, and agree about the noise.

I wonder why people here dislike Flickr in general.
I know why I dislike Flickr in particular, but one can stay away from
groups and contacts just by blocking them and putting no tags.

Is it something about copyright concern related to disliking Flickr ?

HTH,

Fernando.