[OM] Re: [way OT] Re: How high's the water/presidential rant

Subject: [OM] Re: [way OT] Re: How high's the water/presidential rant
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 06:32:20 +0100
I understand the principle of the separation of powers, Robert, but
there are, as I understand it, many ways for the Executive to
circumvent them.  For instance, the President may not declare war
without Congressional support.  But since he is C in C (I shiver
internally at the thought of his being my C in C!) he can order
military action without declaring war.  I believe that that happened
both in Vietnam and in Iraq.

Certainly the continued occupation of a foreign state needs
Congressional support in the form of funding, but that is much easier
to organise since the poor troops are already engaged ...

Chris