[OM] Re: [way OT] Re: How high's the ... rant

Subject: [OM] Re: [way OT] Re: How high's the ... rant
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 17:03:00 +1000
Pascal's Gaming Theory claimed that if you have two variables, then
there are four choices - Yes, No, Yes and No, Neither Yes nor No. We
tend to forget the second two. It is surprising how useful it is. In
this case -
1. It's a problem and we do something.
2. It's a problem and we do nothing.
3. It's not a problem and we do something.
4. It's not a problem and we do nothing.
The debate is between 1 and 2. I'm recommending that 3 has
substantial benefit and if, as Pascal would, we apply values to each
position, then 1+3 outweighs 2+4 by a substantial margin.

And as to Gore vs. Crichton.
Gore - long term policy activist and populist with a long term
documented interest in environmental issues.
Crichton - novelist who jumps on bandwagon and gets an audience
because his views are politically convenient.
Weigh those credentials.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx