[OM] Re: [way OT] Re: How high's the water/presidential rant

Subject: [OM] Re: [way OT] Re: How high's the water/presidential rant
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 22:20:41 -0400
Rep. Barbara Lee of California submitted an amendment to the joint
resolution "To authorize the use of United States Armed Forces against
Iraq" <http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d107:h.j.res.114:>

Her amendment "sought to have the United States work through the United
Nations to seek to resolve the matter of ensuring that Iraq is not
developing weapons of mass destruction, through mechanisms such as the
resumption of weapons inspections, negotiation, enquiry, mediation,
regional arrangements, and other peaceful means."
<http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/D?d107:1:./temp/~bdRngu::>

The amendment failed on a roll call vote 72 - 355.  Even had the
amendment passed there is nothing in the wording of it that would have
*required* the US to seek UN approval of anything... and even the
wishy-washy wording didn't pass.

Chuck Norcutt