[OM] Antialiasing in new generation Olympus cameras

Subject: [OM] Antialiasing in new generation Olympus cameras
From: "Leandro DUTRA" <leandro.gfc.dutra@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 10:35:02 -0300
I guess everyone already know the camera body DPReview uses for Four
Thirds lens testing is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-L10, due to the E-3
having too strong an antialias filter.

Now they are telling us the E-420 has a similarly strong filter,
perhaps the same.

I feel deceived, because still hope to get an E-420 and was hoping to
have as good raw files as they get, leaving corrections such as white
balance, noise reduction and antialiasing for software.  I really like
the Leica M8 approach here, even if I can't afford one.

I know I can enjoy an E-420 now and have the filter removed when
warranty finishes, but it is really just a hack and down here in
Brazil it is not so simple to find someone to do that.

Is this just nitpicking, and is there any good engineering reason for
Olympus' choice — or is it just a matter of not doing it in firmware
because the processor ain't powerful enough, and we don't want
ignorant users to have to learn about antialiasing?

--
skype:leandro.gfc.dutra?chat Yahoo!: ymsgr:sendIM?lgcdutra
+55 (11) 3040 7300 r155 gTalk: xmpp:leandrod@xxxxxxxxxx