[OM] Re: color fading in scanner

Subject: [OM] Re: color fading in scanner
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 01:46:23 -0700
Komtanoo Pinpimai wrote:
> A little problem just happened on my Dual IV.
>
> http://www.pantip.com/cafe/camera/topic/O6708621/O6708621-34.jpg
> http://www.pantip.com/cafe/camera/topic/O6708621/O6708621-35.jpg
>
> (scanned by vuescan)
>
> You can notice some color fading on the 1/3 top of these pictures.
> I though it was from film, but when I flipped the film upside down then the
> fading color was still in the same area.
>
> Is the ccd is getting bad ?

There is a very hard line where the color changes. It looks like
something changes from one scan line to the next. I suspect some
mechanical problem with the film feed. The mechanism moves the film past
a fixed lens and CCD. If the CCD were bad, it would affect the whole image.
> I can scan those images two times by flipping and merging them in photoshop,
> is there some easier workarounds ?

I can't think of an easier one at the moment.
> Or could vuescan cause this? I use pretty much default settings, so I
> concluded it should come from the scanner.

That appears likely to be right. However, if it were my problem, I would
scan film from a different roll with more color over the whole frame and
scan it again with the Nikon software - just to be sure it's not film or
software.

Moose