[OM] Re: Winners of Olympus DSLR Contest

Subject: [OM] Re: Winners of Olympus DSLR Contest
From: Candace Lemarr <CandaceRocks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 14:31:36 -0600
Well, I am really late on this, but it's bugging me so I'll post anyhow. :-)

My initial reaction is that it's had some photoshopping. It very much
looks like the results I've had when playing around with different
things in photoshop.
I've been able to get a result very similar to this by selecting (in
this case the bison) the object and then either using duplicate layer
"screen" blending mode and layer masking out everything but the bison.
Or using curves on the bison, or even brightness/contrast, or levels,
again all on a duplicate layer and layer masked. Then the haloing
occurs. I've done this with an image of a horse, in the winter time. The
horse was dark brown, the snow was white and it was a sunny day. I
needed the horse to have more visible detail, so I toyed around with all
of these options I've listed above. All of them produced the same look
as what we see here in the "Bison Stampede" picture. If I could find the
image I'd upload it and show it to you, but I ended up doing nothing
with it as I didn't like any of the results for the reasons you can see
in the bison pic.
Stampede??
Personally I think the pic is real, the bison are really in the pic, not
added, but they've been adjusted in one way or another to make them not
so dark, and this is the result. That's my opinion. :-)
Candace