[OM] Re: More little trains, soggy Welsh valleys & seaside.

Subject: [OM] Re: More little trains, soggy Welsh valleys & seaside.
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 08:54:25 +1000
I am but grist to the pedant's mill. Damn.
I remember little as my family moved south when I was quite young.
However I was once again reminded in recent weeks of my quite
distinct ethnicity. Clearly I had not been evacuated young enough.
There's a small tribal group of Lancastrians and other northerners at
my school, couple of students and a half-dozen teachers, three of
them Scousers. I find myself drawn into their group and quickly
accepted. We acknowledge each other, even hang out a bit to discuss
the progress of the 'Reds' (two versions) or how much better rugby
league is down here.
While few still adhere to a strict diet of black pudding, tripe,
scouse, hot pot, parkin and so on, I found myself explaining to
someone that we do have a very different style - in fact, I was
excusing the perceived tactlessness of one of the Scouse teachers.
('Whaddya mean rude?') I was demanding that a refusal to accept that
distinct and allow for it amounted to discrimination. Someone noted
that 'You're starting to sound like Alan' so obviously my short
vowels had returned. So had the rather abrupt, in-yer-face style of
humour I think. Perhaps I should stop car-pooling with him?
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx