[OM] Re: Dr. Flash reports on Will Crockett's DVD flash tutorial

Subject: [OM] Re: Dr. Flash reports on Will Crockett's DVD flash tutorial
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 22:26:10 -0700
C.H.Ling wrote:
> Talking about Canon flash, it is the poorest flash system I have ever used,
I have no personal idea, nor axe to grind, as I avoid flash whenever
possible and have only used manual flash with the 5D.

> even the old Olympus T-flashes are better (I once tested my T32 in TTL mode
> was around +/- 0.3 stops from 3 to 15 feet).
That's not necessarily fair - the T series TTL-OTF is one of the best
ever made.
> .... My Canon 430EX is consistently 2/3 to 1 1/3 stop under in TTL mode, may
> be I have used non original Canon lenses but they are both latest design from
> Tamron (17-50 and 70-300 LD Macro 1:2) and there is no excuse for such big
> error.
No, it shouldn't be so far off. However, it's probably better with those
EF lenses that send focal distance data to the camera. In the link Chuck
posted this morning, there is a section that explains about ETTL-II and
lens distance info.

The next section is a list of EF lenses known to pass distance info to
the camera and a list of those known not to send it. I think it is very
likely that Tamron does not do so.

I've just checked shots with the only two EF lenses I have that are
suposed to send distance data, 24-85/3.5-4.5 and 28-105/3.5-4.5. I can't
find itin the EXIF or maker data in the files, but that doesn't mean it
isn't there for use by the camera/flash. It does mean I can't tell if my
Tamrons pass the data.

Moose