[OM] Re: Dr. Flash reports on Will Crockett's DVD flash tutorial

Subject: [OM] Re: Dr. Flash reports on Will Crockett's DVD flash tutorial
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 16:36:44 +1000
The main problem with my old Bowens 2000 kit is reducing the power!
Minimum setting is 500w/s unless I use the splitter and run two heads
off one pack. If I want to use a wider aperture than f11, I have to
back them off a fair way! I'm considering making some large diffuser
screens to knock it down a little.
My mate Dean, the only camera manufacturer in Australia to my
knowledge has come up with a neat idea - he makes ball diffusers for
use with regular camera strobes off the shoe. Easy with the Chinese
transmitters.
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~razzle/Flashball/flashball.html
I couldn't work out how for a while because all the diffuser balls in
my local stores are made of glass and quite yellow and his are
plastic and cool white. Then I cracked it - he uses the ones off
outdoor lights - two departments over in the hardware megastore. He
cuts them and fits grippy rubber foam throats and a velco strap.
Works rather well although he's a better mechanic than photographer.
Not hard to make and a neat idea - I'm fitting a large one (there are
three sizes I've seen) to an old Hensel monoblock to use as a single
source, as I can't get reflectors for it.
Of course, if you're here in Aus. you should buy from him and avoid
the bother. :-)
This is his home site -
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~razzle/index.html
I mention him occasionally because I'm in awe of what he does. I've
seen the 4x5 chome of the girl on the home page, shot with the bog
standard Rodenstock 127mm on 100VS. The detail and colour is awesome.

Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx