[OM] Re: Almost on topic images

Subject: [OM] Re: Almost on topic images
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 14:52:25 -0700
Willie Wonka wrote:
> Looks like someone had a grand time.

Indeed, and thanks for looking and commenting.

> >From the set of images, I liked this one the most:
> http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=MandM/PescaderoCoastalHills&image=_MG_4438ii.jpg
>
> <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=MandM/PescaderoCoastalHills&image=_MG_4438ii.jpg>
> despite the lens flair.

Glad you like it, but that's not lens flare. Where I live and many of
the places I like to visit, summer is an endless series of cycles of in
and out movement of the fog of the marine layer and the sun inland. This
image was taken right along the edge. Although the fog is not obviously
in the image, it's just off to the left. so there is a gradient of tiny
water particles in the air diminishing from left to right, giving the
effect you noticed.

Although I find it difficult to convey the sense of the fog/sun
boundary, I find it fascinating and often beautiful and keep trying to
capture it. This and the following image look toward the sun covered
hills from under and through the fog.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MorroBay/LosOsos/slides/_MG_1091.html>

This TOPE entry uses the compressing effect of a long lens to show the
increasing softening and abstracting effect of fog with distance.
<http://www.tope.nl/tope_show_entry.php?event=20&pic=33&header_font_to_use=dorcla__>

When I had the Olympus Odyssey camera, I again explored this liminal
space. Conveying the subtle effect is tricky, especially in a web venue,
where even small differences in screen brightness can change the effect
greatly. This image and the two following versions explore that issue.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=OlyOdyssey&image=7024_07a.jpg>

I particularly like this one
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=OlyOdyssey&image=7024_08ii.jpg>.

With the partially obscured sun directly in the image, it does have lens
flare. I left the streak down the center, but corrected an oval rainbow
below it. Again, and in the following image, screen brightness strongly
affects the look. Although my LCD isn't bad, if I start to stand up, the
image becomes too bright - lean down and it's too dark.

> I also liked the atmosphere in this one:
> http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=MandM/PescaderoCoastalHills&image=_MG_4426ii.jpg
>
> <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=MandM/PescaderoCoastalHills&image=_MG_4426ii.jpg>

Oh goody! It's really over the top PS play. As you can see from the
surrounding images, it was cold, heavily overcast and windy at the
beach.Something about the red, classic sun car led me to try to make it
look more summery and bright - a postcard. I'm glad at least one viewer
enjoyed it.

Marnie caught the couple canoodling in a nice shot through the rear
window that we may see here one day (?).

Moose