[OM] Urban Legend Heard at Wallyworld

Subject: [OM] Urban Legend Heard at Wallyworld
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 07:10:26 -0700 (PDT)
Going back to the old country in two days and as part of gifts for friends, I
decided to bring a few prints.

I brought my pictures on a thumbdrive to the photo center at Walmart and before
started to print,  was approached by the girl working there, and told that
"pictures that come off flash drives come out grainy on 8x10, it has something
to do with how many times picture is transfered through different devices...It
is best if you print straight out of the camera card"

Being an adventurous guy and having hard time believing, I stuck the nerd chip
(there is some slango for ya...), and went tthrough the process...Ten minutes
later, I returned and she greeted me with a smile saying:  "I think I know
which picture is yours and it did not turn grainy..."

So, whats the story...?  I am thinking that there are several plausible
explanations and all of them have sompin to do with processing within the
machine.  First comes to mind size and second noise in crappy digicams,
third-sharpening and noise.

I have no idea how this urban legend was started...it is an urban legend, right?

Boris

P.S.  My picture was saved in  .tiff and .jpeg formats.  I printed ot of the
tiff...