[OM] Re: Chuck's 'round-the-country tour - Yellowstone

Subject: [OM] Re: Chuck's 'round-the-country tour - Yellowstone
From: Dean Hansen <hanse112@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 08:52:45 -0500
    If Chuck and family haven't already gone past it, I'd recommend
stopping at the Custer Battlefield.  It's very interesting.  If nothing
else, it's a good reminder of what can result from letting a head-strong
fool lead too few troops into someone elses homeland.
    US 212 goes over the Beartooth Pass, which is a bit over 10,000 feet
elevation.  Hope Chuck takes this route. In 1969, while doing research
for my thesis, my wife and I stayed at a campgound by Island Lake,
several miles to the west of the pass.  I collected insects near Frozen
Lake, which is just to the west of the pass.  When I tried to identify
one particular species back at the campground, I was at first sure I was
somehow misinterpreting the identification key--the genus of small fly I
was looking at had not been reported in North America south of tree line
in the Canadian Arctic.  Well, I wasn't misinterpreting anything--the
country around the Beartooth Pass is, plant and animal-wise, much like
the Canadian Arctic north of tree line.  And here was this little fly,
happy as a clam, 2,5000 miles south of its relatives.  Get out and hike
around a bit--it's a bit like being on Ellesmere, Baffin, or Devon
Island.  Wonderful place!
    Enjoy the sights!
    OM content:  none.  I was borrowing my father's  Exacta VX IIa those
39 years ago.
Dean