[OM] Re: Got an on-camera pop-up flash?

Subject: [OM] Re: Got an on-camera pop-up flash?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 20:56:58 -0700
Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> Flash Is Evil

I'd like to agree wholeheartedly. I certainly don't like the look of
on-camera flash, and am not patient enough for, nor really interested
in, multiple off camera flashes. I'll go to considerable lengths to
avoid flash.

Sometimes, thought, it's the only tool for the job. Sitting around at
kiddie bedtime in a darkish room, with people, especially one of the
subjects, who move about quickly and often, flash is one answer.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=VisitKirsten>

I suppose the 5D with a fast lens might have worked with a lot of shots
to end up with some keepers. Room lighting was pretty uneven, but it
might have worked out. But you know what? I don't usually carry that
kind of gear on a casual visit where the real purpose is social and
there are kids to help with - kids with fast hands.  :-)

I had one kid sitting on each side of me at the restaurant. Just eating
and keeping up with the little ones was enough to do there.

I don't know if you remember the images of another friend's graduation
from Seminary. Another case where I think flash was simply required for
most of the subjects and situations.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=JuliaGrad>

Lets hope for a Micro 4/3 with something like a tiny 15-40/1.4-2.0 .....

Moose