[OM] Re: Urban Legend Heard at Wallyworld

Subject: [OM] Re: Urban Legend Heard at Wallyworld
From: "Ian Nichols" <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 09:23:00 +0100
2008/8/10 Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>:

> I brought my pictures on a thumbdrive to the photo center at Walmart and
> before started to print,  was approached by the girl working there, and told
> that "pictures that come off flash drives come out grainy on 8x10, it has
> something to do with how many times picture is transfered through different
> devices...It is best if you print straight out of the camera card"

> So, whats the story...?  I am thinking that there are several plausible
> explanations and all of them have sompin to do with processing within the
> machine.  First comes to mind size and second noise in crappy digicams,
> third-sharpening and noise.
>
> I have no idea how this urban legend was started...it is an urban legend,
> right?

I'll hazard a guess that most pictures on flash drives have been
uploaded to a computer, processed, probably resized and then copied to
the flash drive.  That allows myriad routes for the alleged
graininess.

--
Stand firm for what you believe in, until and unless logic and experience
prove you wrong. Remember: when the emperor looks naked, the emperor *is*

-Daria Morgendorffer