[OM] Re: Urban Legend Heard at Wallyworld

Subject: [OM] Re: Urban Legend Heard at Wallyworld
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 07:46:52 -0700
> From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> I brought my pictures on a thumbdrive to the photo center at Walmart
> and before started to print,  was approached by the girl working
> there, and told that "pictures that come off flash drives come out
> grainy on 8x10, it has something to do with how many times picture
> is transfered through different devices...It is best if you print
> straight out of the camera card"...
>
> So, whats the story...?

I'm certain it has nothing to do with "how many times picture is
transferred."

I'd say, in general, if it comes off a thumb drive, it's much less
likely to be a quality image. It could have been down-sized for email,
or it could have come off a website.

You need 8-16 times more pixels to make a decent print than you do to
have a decent screen image. So if a photo gets re-sized for screen, it
will make a crappy 8x10.

Funny she used the term "grain." That's sorta like calling the
accelerator the buggy whip -- similar purpose, different mechanism.

:::: I dread success. To have succeeded is to have finished one's
business on earth, like the male spider, who is killed by the female
the moment he has succeeded in his courtship. I like a state of
continual becoming, with a goal in front and not behind. -- George
Bernard Shaw ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.EcoReality.org ::::