[OM] Re: digital lenses and manual focusing

Subject: [OM] Re: digital lenses and manual focusing
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 07:18:51 -0400
In telescopes and binoculars the image is allowed to fall wherever it
may and focus is accomplished by moving the eyepiece.  To use the same
system in a camera the focal plane would have to move (a lot) and also
be physically tied to the eyepiece movement.  Much simpler for both sets
of optics to focus on a fixed position which is the view screen whose
optical path from the body flange is the same distance as the
film/sensor plane.

The OM 1-9 type screen for endoscope use is a clear screen but it can
only be used with an endoscope attached since no focusing is required.

Chuck Norcutt