[OM] Re: flickr alternative

Subject: [OM] Re: flickr alternative
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 15:48:57 +0100
Now you're talkin', Jim.

I went to the Duxford Warbirds air show in 2005 with Gary Edwards, a
former member of the List.  We saw 13 Spitfires take off in a couple
of minutes, followed by about 10 minutes of tailchasing above us.
That was particularly stirring.

Unfortunately a Fairey Firefly piled later in doing a low-level low-
speed barrel roll, killing pilot and observer; a barrel roll is one of
the most dangerous airshow manoeuvres in my opinion, as proven
(again!) by the Typhoon at the Royal International Air Tatoo (RIAT),
also in 2005.

If you liked the sound of 4 pairs of burners lighting up, you should
try being in one of the pair at the back when a 4-ship of Tornados
runs up their engines all at once, the thumbs-up is passed to the
leader up the formation from cockpit to cockpit from the No 4 and the
leader gives the "go" (a head nod); the front 2 light their burners
and leave the back pair shaking in the breeze ...

... ah, halcyon days!

Chris