[OM] Re: flickr alternative

Subject: [OM] Re: flickr alternative
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 19:05:27 +0100
Thanks for that, Chuck.  Who would have thought that someone would
care enough to put videos like that on the Tube?  And then that other
people would want to see them and comment ... ?

I first saw these engines (tow of them) in a Royal Navy minesweeper on
which I spent a week while I waited for flying training in 1975.  I
was give a tour of the engine room (Fish-heads trying to train a
Crab :-)) and the chief engineer spoke with some pride of these lovely
great machines.  They were twice the size of the locomotive engines
(twice as long), but I have to say that the sound in a locomotive is
great.  And it's not only the sound, it's the thought of the whole
motive system, the drive train:

Driver demands power in the cab from the electric motor; electric
motor demands current from the generator; generator demands torque
from the diesel which spins up with a great roar.

And it just keeps on going as the train gathers speed.  It's not as
romantic as steam, but it is still pretty stirring for me.

And the  surging, continuous power of a single GE F110 engine in an
F16 is more exciting (if you're in it), but anyone could then visit a
railway station and listen as the locomotives built up power and
pulled 9or pushed) their trains out on their journeys.

And I'm not even a train spotter!

Chris