[OM] Re: Chuck's 'round-the-country tour - Yellowstone

Subject: [OM] Re: Chuck's 'round-the-country tour - Yellowstone
From: Rob Harrison <robhar54@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 11:42:46 -0700
In 1976, between my second and third year of architecture school, when
gas was cheaper and I had fewer responsibilities (and indulgent
parents), I drove a 1971 BMW 2002 around the western US for a summer,
car camping and staying with friends. About two and a half months, as
I recall, and 12,000 miles. The trip started near Cleveland, Ohio
where I lived, and went west, down through Oklahoma (to see Bruce Goff
houses in Norman), northern Texas (Cadillac Ranch), Gran Canyon, Mesa
Verde, Painted Desert, Taos, Las Vegas, Death Valley, two weeks in Los
Angeles, up the coast to San Franscisco for another ten days (stopping
to see the Madonna Inn along the way) and experiencing the
Bicentennial there, Yosemite National Park for ten days or so
imitating Ansel Adams and hanging out with climbers in Camp 4, back to
SF and then up Highway 1 (past Sea Ranch), the Oregon coast, around
the Olympic Peninsula and into Seattle, up to Vancouver BC, across the
Canadian Rockies to Banff and Lake Louise, down to Glacier National
Park, Yellowstone, then back eastward through Ann Arbor, MI and home.
I shot about 50 rolls of hand-rolled Illford FP4 and maybe 25 of
Kodachrome 25, and a few rolls of Ektachrome--all with my OM-1md and a
50/1.8 lens. It was epic. A trip of a lifetime, for sure. I
periodically entertain notions of scanning the best of the images from
that trip and putting together a website. Certainly a portrait of the
country at that time.

Rob in Seattle