[OM] Diana+ and pinholes [was Help!]

Subject: [OM] Diana+ and pinholes [was Help!]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 15:02:47 -0700
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> Maaaate - that's a reissue! Not the same.
No, not quite the same. Slightly better in two aspects important to me.

The new one has a removable lens, which leads to many interesting
possibilities.

With the lens removed and aperture set to P, it becomes a pinhole camera.

I've just used up may too much time and too many looking molecules
checking out images on the web. From my perspective, I've clearly
confirmed what I suggested a few days ago. Pinholes on the 5D give a
very different looking sort of image than those on larger format, film
cameras. I simply didn't like almost all of the 5D/pinhole images I
found. Tonalities and contrast transitions not as creamy smooth, with a
hard to describe blocky or edgy quality on most.

On the other hand, there were many lovely images, both colour and B&W,
taken with the Diana+ pinhole setting. Based on images perused, I'd say
the Diana+ is the outstanding deal in pinhole cameras at the moment.

As I said in my previous post, I suspect the difference has much to do
with pinhole size and distance from film/sensor. I would expect smaller
sensor cameras to have the same or worse results, as the softer corners
and vignetting would be cut off.

Moose