[OM] Re: [OT] Seriously who can afford one of these?

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Seriously who can afford one of these?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 02:00:28 -0700
Ian Nichols wrote:
> 2008/8/22 Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> Now students don't have to learn something by writing it down - they can
>> take away a copy and lose it. What an advance!
>>

> Lecture, n:  A means of transferring the lecturer's notes to the
> students' notes without having them pass through the minds of
> either[1].  This is a much more efficient way of doing it.  I guess
> it's only tradition that keeps lectures happening ;)

LOL! I could never both take good notes and actually listen to what was
being said at the same time.

My mom used to tel how she and a fellow nursing student as UCSF shared
duties. Her friend took excellent, well organized and legible notes -
and had no idea afterwards what was said. So mom sat and really
listened, then they studied using both excellent notes and clear
recollection of what was being said.

When I was at Cal, there was a company that sold lecture notes. Some
teachers didn't vary their lectures from year to year, and one could buy
the whole set of course notes ahead of time. With those that varied, the
notes were available the morning after the class. Some people thought it
was cheating in some way. I loved the way I could just sit and pay
attention, knowing I would have notes as well.

I am of the opinion that many things considered traditional in pedagogy
are just wasted drudgery that contribute nothing to learning.

And don't get me started on the testing craze in the US. Teaching to
tests does little to teach anything that will be retained or useful later.

Man, I'm glad I'm not in school!

Moose