[OM] Re: Red-eye avoidance

Subject: [OM] Re: Red-eye avoidance
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 20:11:39 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> What do you use for red-eye removal?  I almost never have to do that but it
> does happen on occasion.
I almost never have to use it either, 'cause I hardly ever use flash. :-)

But I needed it when I took those pics of our friend and her kids that I
posted the other day. The little flash on the front of the F30 is close
to the lens. It has a red-eye reduction setting, which I didn't turn on
right away (operator error). Even when I remembered to turn it on, I got
some. I wonder if babys don't have different response or response time
than older children?
> I can't remember what I last used but I can't recall any automated method
> doing acceptable work.  But it's been a long time.

I tried the tool in CS3. I wasn't even sure it had one, but figured it
might have migrated up from Elements. I looked and sure enough, there it
was.

It worked completely on most instances. In one case, it seemed to be
taking forever, so I canceled it. The red wasn't very red, so I think
the tool had gone on to the whole image, looking for red to remove.
After that, I did a quick select of the eye area before applying the
tool. I had to do a little clone application on one that the tool didn't
pick up completely.

Moose