[OM] Time-lapse photography

Subject: [OM] Time-lapse photography
From: "David D Miller" <olympus-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 18:10:50 +0100
We're looking at doing a time-lapse film of a building project - with no
immediate budget and very little time to get started.  We've been given the
use of a north-facing window that overlooks the site, with power and network
connections - and that's it!

For a trial, we'll be using an E-20, WCON-08B wide converter, and an AC
adapter - using the camera's built-in interval timer - and someone visiting
to change the memory card a couple of times a week.

If the trial is successful and we get funding, we may switch to more
up-to-date digital SLR with a super-wide-angle or fisheye lens - 18mm and
16mm OM lenses are being considered.  The camera would be driven by a
networked PC and upload the images directly to a server - so we can see what
it's doing remotely (and visit only when it stops working).  We really want
something that we can fit and forget for a couple of years.

I have a couple of questions:

What size of CompactFlash card or Microdrive can the E-20 cope with: The Oly
website says it will only support up to 320Mb, but I'm happily using a 2Gb
Microdrive at the moment!  Am I just extremely lucky with my choice of card,
or is 2Gb a more sensible limit?  Are there any other limitations of the
E-20 that I should be aware of?

Secondly, anyone got advice on building a box or shade to prevent
reflections from stray light within the building.  The WCON-08B or 18mm
Zuiko (with 49-72 adapter) might be OK pressed hard against the window,
perhaps with masking tape around the edges.  But the Zuiko fisheye, or
another wide-angle lens set at a different angle, might need a bigger
enclosure.  Any issues with a very shallow plastic cone, matt black on the
inside, close fitting around the lens mount, and taped to the window?

Any thoughts on keeping the lens dust-free for an extended period?  Outside
of the window should be washed regularly, but that (and the weather) are out
of our control.  But inside will be an office full of papers and books, and
we can't stop it being used for the duration of the project.

Finally, are any of the current E System bodies capable of doing the job
instead of the C*non D400 that's currently proposed?