[OM] Re: Copper Country

Subject: [OM] Re: Copper Country
From: "Ken Norton" <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 15:14:29 -0500
Moose wrote:
>I've been thinking about this workshop for some time, hoping I could
>arrange to get to it. Looks like I'll have many more months to
>contemplate it. Although I like traveling and photographing to my own
>pace and whims, a photo trip to such a scenic place with a highly
>knowledgeable guide, and perhaps some fellow list members, is a rather
>attractive prospect.

My workshops are more like going on a guided fishing trip.  Leave it to the
host to know where the big ones swim and which fly to tie on.  Meanwhile you
get to hear snippets of wisdom spewed forth once in a while.  Or not.

>Remember, at least one list member has died waiting on your workshop. ;-)

This particular workshop is the "Walt Special".  If it ain't near the
vehicle, it ain't photogenic.  Of course, that doesn't mean we all have to
huddle around the same spot with our tripods fighting for space. Joel Wilcox
and I went on a photo trip three years ago in this very area and got some
fantastic shots as well as discussed the beginnings of how to do a workshop
up there. Two years ago, we did the Isle Royale workshop and the
participants got to see the Keweenaw Peninsula as that's where the ferries
are to get to Isle Royale. Based on the massive amount of logistics involved
to do Isle Royale, we decided that a workshop based on 4-wheeled vehicle
travel wasn't that bad of an idea.  Nor was the idea of sleeping in a real
bed at night and having electricity to charge batteries.  I promise--no more
canoes!

>One technical comment on the images. Isn't it time you gave in to
>PTLens? And though I agree with you about too much perspective
>correction, (Yeah, Scott, I know.), it seems to me that the school
>building benefits from some correction.
>http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/AG/School.htm

I must confess to extreme laziness.  That was just a "record shot". Just
something grabbed out the window while the Jeep was idling. We had bugged
out of Copper Harbor and was taking the back road down along the eastern
shoreline towards Houghton.  This is actually katycorner from The Gay Bar.
(www.thegaybar.com). Seriously.  But anyway, we were a little time crunched
as we had to do laundry in Houghton and I had to check in with the
office--all before heading down towards Watersmeet and Bond Falls to setup
camp for the night.  Had I been interested in anything more than a straight
record shot for reference purposes, I would have slapped the shift lens
(Joel's loaner) on the camera and straightened things up.  But since we in
Gay, I'm not sure how "straight" the picture should be anyway.  ;)

>The fact that I have no other suggestions probably speaks more than my
>first line to how much I admire the images.

I'm humbled.  Thank you.

Chris wrote:
>The scans are excellent, as is the "cover photo".

Thank you.  Some of the scans took more work than others. Not all films are
created equal. The cover photo is a fresh version of my "Z-Falls" prints
which have been remarkable sellers.  The look is entirely different this
time because of colorization.  As soon as I've had a chance to scan more of
the images, I'll have a new opinion on the current crop of color print films
as well as how they compare to digital in the real world.

Can I confess something?  Almost EVERY image was taken in aperture-priority
auto mode.  Oh, the horrors....  Gotta love the OM-4T's OTF metering.  :)

AG
--
Ken Norton
http://www.zone-10.com